Friday, November 23, 2012

AMANDA GRABER'S

I went to Amanda Graber's again, but she was not home.  The only one that was there is one young lady with some younger children.  She did not open the door, so we talked through the window, next to the door. she opened a bit.  My idea was she is about teenage taking care of the younger children.  As they live out in the country and she had no idea who I was, she didn't open the door.

I explained who I was and why I was there-I wanted to know how her grandmother was doing and more information about the rugs she mde.  The girl told me I had to come back when her grandmoter was there.  I asked if I could take some pictures,  She hesitated at first, but I told her I would go stand by my car-where she could see me and just take pictures of the carriages. Then she could see me leave.  She agreed.  So I took the picture while standing by the car.

The carriage next to the barn, with triangle orange sign, is like the one Amanda had the accident in.  I thought that's what the black square one was until Jean saw the pictures.  Jean said the black square carriage is the one they use to bring the seats in for church service.  After service the seats are converted into tables and seats for their meal.  They sometimes have another carriage, like that for pots, pans, dishes, etc. that they may need for the preparing or serving the meal.  Had I know that they would be having a service on Sunday, I would have taken a drive out there to take pictures of the buggies-but I found out after the fact.

This also leads to a mistake I made.  Amanda Graber is not Mennonite-she and her family are Amish.  I asked the lady that talked to me through window and she said they are Amish.  So I made a mistake in my first post.

I observe both the Amish and Old Order Mennonite by not taking pictures of people. I will take of farms, carriages, signs ,animals etc., but no people.  If I should get someone on the camera, I would delete them if it shows Amish or Old Order Mennonite faces.  

I will try to go out ro Amanda Graber's again.  Next time I will try during the week and not on Friday.

Richard has put all the pictures on New York State of Mind and I thank him very much.  I felt it is my time to give it a try.  So if the picture of the carriages come on with this post-it is my first time to give it a try. 

Marilyn


5 comments:

New York State Of Mind said...

I usually don't put two posts on in the same day, but I wanted to see if I could get photos on here. As I said all the pictures on here are Richards except this picture. The day I went to Amanda's, I had been to the eye doctors and then to the DMV to renew my drivers license. I was on the way home and thought I would see if I could find Amanda's again, which I did. It's too bad that she wasn't home.
Marilyn

Vickie said...

It is a great picture Marilyn. I see from your little profile picture you have a poodle? Me too! We have a grey toy poodle named Mabel. Is your's a miniature or toy?

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Vickie,
Thank you about the picture. You are a poodle owner too !!! Small world. My poodle, is Pierre. He is a minature, he is apricot with silver trim on his ears.
Marilyn

trump said...

Too bad that Amanda was not home Marilyn, so maybe you can catch her the next time that your over-there. And I trust everyone's Thanksgiving has gone well so far, and our weather is now changing to more cooler temps for this weekend starting today (Sat).


Enjoy the weekend folks and Jean will get posted on late Sunday on my own blog, with just a few weeks left until she moves here. On my last week ( of Dec 17 week) of posting in the old format on Amish Stories I will publish my visit with an Amish buggy maker from Lebanon county with lots of images, then I will take the rest of the Winter off and should return sometime in the Spring with only posting my pictures on a part-time basis.


After the buggy makers post I still will have 2 other Amish shops to publish, so I hope to complete that and finally get them all on the internet next year. Enjoy and be safe out there and I'm out of here folks. Richard

New York State Of Mind said...

Can't wait to see your new posts, Richard. I am really looking forward to the buggy makers. I bet that is most interesting.

It is darn cold here. Even snow this morning. Not enough to cover the ground, just enough to let you know it is here.

Stay warm.

Marilyn