Tuesday, September 17, 2013

SUE ANN'S AMISH AND MENNONITE RECIPES

I had a cookbook, borrowed from a friend, a long time ago, and I copied only the pages that interested me. I don't know when the cookbook was published, but I have a date marked, when I tried my first recipe, as 1982 !
The title page I copied, so I would remember the book:
               From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens
by: Phyllis Pellman Good, and Rachel Thomas Pellman

I have used these recipes over and over again, for all these years, and I think you will like them too.

                                 STEAMED BREAD DUMPLINGS

Make your favorite white bread dough. When ready to be baked (after the kneading and rising times), take part of the dough and form bun size balls. Place in a buttered baking dish ( about 2" deep), and steam over boiling water for 30 mins.
Serve hot with fruit and milk.
[ this is so easy to do! Use a large pot that the baking dish just sits on top of, and use the pot lid to cover the baking dish, keep the heat at med high]

                                CELERY SEED DRESSING

1 c sugar
2 t dry mustard
2 t paprika
2 t salt
1/2 c vinegar ( your choice, I use cider a lot)
2 c salad oil ( I use Canola Oil)
2 t celery seed
1 T grated onion ( optional)

Combine first 5 ingredients and mix well. Add the oil in slowly and beat well. Stir in onion and celery seed. Let sit over night in fridge.
[ this makes 28 oz., which is a lot for 2 people. I cut the recipe in half, and the dressing lasts us a little over a week. It will not spoil.]
Use a whisk to mix this up....mix each time before pouring, as the spices and sugar will settle.

                               RED WINE- MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE

2 T red wine vinegar ( balsamic works too)
1 T lemon juice
2 t dijon style mustard
1 t finely minced onion or shallot
1/2 t sugar
1/8 t ground black pepper
3 T extra virgin olive oil, ( I use Canola oil)
combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix well, slowly add the oil, and mix well. Use a whisk. Store in fridge.

                           CORN PIE

Pastry for a 2 crust , deep dish, pie ( can use store bought)
3 c fresh corn off the cob ( I have used frozen before, thawed)
1 1/2 c raw, peeled, diced potatoes
3 hard boiled eggs, diced
salt and pepper to taste
several slices of uncooked bacon, cut into 1" pieces
milk

Line casserole or deep dish pie plate with one pastry
combine corn, potatoes, and eggs- pour into the pastry crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add enough milk to just cover the vegetables.
Place pieces of sliced bacon on top, all around.
Cover with top pastry, pinch edges together to seal, make a few small air vents with a knife.
BAKE- 425 degrees- 30- 40 mins., when crust is browned and milk is bubbly throughout.

                            BAKED CARROTS and APPLES

4 c carrots, cut into 1/2 " pieces
3 c apples, peeled, cored, sliced
2 T butter or margarine
1/4 c honey
paprika

Steam carrots until tender, drain. Stir in apples and honey.
Turn into a buttered casserole. dot with butter.
cover and bake, 350 degrees, 50 mins.
Stir, sprinkle with paprika.
Bake an additional 10 mins, uncovered.
[when you steam the carrots, be sure to do them JUST to tender, not over done, or you will have carrot mush!]

These are easy, and fun recipes to make, especially for the winter months. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have all these years.




10 comments:

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you are enjoying Sue Ann's recipes.

It's cold here this morning but suppose to hit the 70's. It's up and down here.

Marilyn

Countryside Reflections said...

These are so interesting. I'm always surprised at the unique combination of ingredients in some recipes. I'll definitely try the Mustard Vinaigrette (with Balsamic vinegar of course). Thank you Sue Ann.

Doreen

Anonymous said...

Hi SueAnn, I've got this book, too. Phyllis Pellman Good has always put together great stuff! Started getting these books and other publications at The Peoples Place in PA a lot of years ago. Enjoying your posts! Blessings, Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Doreen and Carol,

Glad you are enjoying Sue Ann's recipes. I will have to go through my Amish cookbooks. I wonder if I have that one, too.

Marilyn

SueAnn said...

Thank-you, carol! How sweet!!! I am glad someone has this book!! LOL!!! There were a lot of recipes in it that were "common" to me, so I did'nt want to buy it, my friend let me make copies from it....I copied several more too, the whoopie pies, some breads, things I did'nt normally make....
Doreen, I was thinking about you over the weekend when I was making salad dressing again!!! And knew you might like these 2 dressings. The ( ) are the changes I made for myself...recipes are all about taste.....lots of times..we need a boost to think what will go with what, after that, the rest is our imagination!!!!
Surprisingly, the carrots and apples are really really good!!! Who'd thunk?!!!

Evie said...

Sue Ann can you tell me what kind of texture does the steamed bread have -I have not seen this before

SueAnn said...

it is like a dumpling, only not so "hollow", because it is not boiled in any water, broth, etc.....and not "wet" like a dumpling.

Evie said...

Thank you

Travesti said...

This looks great, full of color and flavor. Travesti

New York State Of Mind said...

Glad you liked it, Travesti.

Marilyn