Sunday, February 16, 2014
ST. ANNE'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, PALMYRA, NY
St. Anne's Roman Catholic Church was first organized in Palmyra back in 1849 by Father Edmund O'Connor of Canandaigua, NY who came by horse and buggy to Palmyra to hold Mass. The Bishop blessed the above church in 1861. Although the church was unfinished, the congregation attended Mass in it. It was completed and consecrated by Right Reverend Bernard McQuaid on October 23,1870. During 1903 the congregation added a belfry a vestibule and a bell was hung.
Next to the church is the rectory, where the Priest lives. To answer the big mystery question: Yes, there is a wine cellar in the basement of the rectory. We have had Priests living here that didn't know there was one.
Right now there is talk of closing St. Anne's. The Diocese would like to unite several Catholic Churches into one parish. St. Anne's is the Mother Catholic Church in this area. When she was founded there were no churches in Macedon, Newark, Shortsville, etc. We hope the Diocese reconsiders, now that we have a new Bishop, and saves St. Anne's.