Monday, May 5, 2014


The Fire Department just left so this post is hot off the press and I mean hot.  My neighbor's apartment ,  kitty corner to mine put some chicken on the stove and fell asleep.  Sam upstairs couldn't wake him up as the man is deaf without his hearing aides and his door was locked - so Sam called the Fire Department as the building filled with smoke.  I didn't know what happened until after the Fire Department arrived and the inside alarm went off.  I can't hear the outside alarm - my hearing is so bad.  I opened the door to see what was going on and I was met by the Firemen. Once I realized everything was under control, I went inside and got my camera.  Top two pictures of the fire truck.  Third is of men directing traffic. Pictures five and six are of the controls on the side of the truck.  Last two pictures are of the frying pan that was on fire and what was burning.  I didn't think I would be doing another Palmyra Fire Department post so fast.  We can say we had a hot time in the old town tonight.


New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Everyone,

Didn't think I would be doing a Palmyra Fire Department post again so soon. This happened in the building that I live in and on the floor I am on. Thank the Lord no one was hurt or the flame was worse. We are all safe. Good work Palmyra Fire Department.


Vanssmomc said...

Glad to hear all are safe and all is well! Had to be a little on the scary side. Any takers on the well done chicken? Cathy in Webster

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Vanssmomc,

Thank you for the message. We are all safe and all is well. There is still a lot of smoke in the air that we are trying to rid of. Cathy, the fellow said he was going to take the chicken inside and eat it. I don't think he was kidding either. For sure, I wouldn't.


Laura said...

Hi Marilyn,

Thank God no one was seriously hurt nor major damage occur! Please do watch for smoke inhalation issues. One time my family and I went on a drive (gone about 3 hrs) and came home to find the fire department blocking our apt. complex driveway. We used to live in an upstairs apartment and about 20 ft across a small green lawn area with trees (who's branches spanned the entire area between buildings) another apartment downstairs directly across from us caught on fire and destroyed a good part of the building. If the wind had changed direction in the least and the fire department not as good as they were, we would have come home to absolutely nothing. My bedroom faced the front of our apartment and since I am allergic to smoke, I had a horrific time of it dealing with the smoke smell - it permeated everything and took forever to get rid of - and we couldn't afford to move at the time.

That is especially why I am very grateful to firemen & women!


New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Laura,
Oh, what happened to you was terrible !! Glad you weren't there when it happened.

We are having trouble with smoke. The windows are open and I sprayed all over.

I am also, very grateful to firemen and women.


annie said...

Thank God all are well, and thank Him for first responders!

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Annie,
I do thank God all are well and for our the Fire Department. It could have been a lot worse.


Anonymous said...

Wow, Marilyn! Thank God no one was hurt-the MOST important thing! Living in a multi-dwelling situation requires everyone to be astute+very aware of anything that seems out of the ordinary+do something about it. Not to mention being very careful+thoughtful re:what we do within our own space for our own safety sake as well as everybody else. Take care+blessings, Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your advice. One of my friends in the building across the street has a key to my apartment in case, for any reason, she has to get in here. She has had to use it a couple of times to walk Pierre when I got tied up somewhere. We all have to watch after each other. The fellow whose apartment was on fire should give someone a key just in case.

Take care and Blessings to you,