Tuesday, June 3, 2014

ANNA ANSWERS SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS

Will try to answer the questions you gave me, but it might take more than one post.  The first question was on how to keep deer and rabbits from eating roses, or vegetables.  By now, I am sure your know Elmer's sense of humor.  He said if they would change hunting season from the fall to growing season - that would end the problem.

There are several things I can give you - some I heard - some I tried.  The best thing to protect them is to put a fence around the flowers or garden.  It should stand about 6 to 8 feet tall and sink in the ground about 6 inches.  If you can't do that or don't want too, I will give you a few things to try.

One is, there are some flowers that deer and rabbits do not like.  Saying that, deer and rabbits, should stay away from them - but I give no 100 per cent guarantee.  Some of the flowers they shouldn't like are: Lavender, monkshood, bugleweed, bellflower, astille, tickseed, coneflower, goldenrod, and more.  If I were to plant one of these around the flowers or vegetables, I would use the lavender.  I have also heard that if you plant garlic around the flowers and garden, deer and rabbits will stay away - I haven 't tried that one.  Also, I have heard mothballs or fabric softner will work.  In a garden, I have heard if your plant onions around the edge, deer and rabbits will stay away.  If you see an Amish garden you may notice flowers all around the edge.  We plant some flowers to keep the animals out and to make our gardens look pretty.

There are also sprays you can mix that some say work.  One is of eggs, hot pepper and garlic.  Another is of rotten eggs, chili powder and soap.  I also heard of mixing 1 teaspoon lysol and 1 gallon of water.  Here is still another combination:

HOMEMADE ANIMAL REPELLENT

2 raw eggs
1 quart water
1 tsp Tobasco sauce or ground black pepper
squirt dish soap

Mix all ingredients together in spray bottle.  Spray flowers and vegetables.

Another thing that will keep deer and rabbits away is a dog.  Our dogs sleep outside in the barn.  When those deer and rabbits come around they chase them - if they hear them.  Also, I am told Englishers have put outside lights on their house or barn.  When the deer or rabbits come around the light goes on and scares them away.

What do I do on our farm?  I planted my roses around the edge of our front porch.  My reasoning is that deer wouldn't come that close to the house.  I don't know if that is good reasoning or not, but, so far, I haven't had any trouble.

When it comes to the garden, I've only had Elmer and John put a fence around it one year.  It was hard working around the fence even though they left room between the fence and the garden.  My look is that deer and rabbits are God's creatures.  They have to eat, too. Usually they munch around the edge.  If it got bad where they were eating a lot, I would have Elmer and John put the fence up again.

I hope I have given you some help.  Next week, I will talk about getting rid of bugs.

Trust God's Wisdom,
Anna











7 comments:

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Everyone,

Sure hope you enjoy Anna's post on keeping rabbits and deer away.

It is raining on and off here today. Still in the 80's.

Marilyn

Vickie said...

What a nice post from Anna. Loved to hear from her.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Vickie,

I will see that Anna gets your compliment. She will be back next week.

Marilyn

Countryside Reflections said...

Thank you for your suggestions Anna. I have hostas planted along the side of my house. As of yesterday, two of my plants are gone. Chewed right down to the ground. I'm in a suburban area, and it's common to look out my window at a herd of 10-12 deer. They're so used to people that very little scares them. Our town doesn't allow hunting, and subdivisions are springing up everywhere. The deer have nowhere to go.

I planted garlic around my rose bush and so far so good, but it hasn't bloomed yet, so that will be the real test when it does.

I've used the commercial deer spray which seemed to work, but it's very expensive. I'll try your homemade animal repellent recipe.

Doreen

Anonymous said...

Thanks Anna-very interesting post! I've heard that putting down chicken wire around gardens etc will deter animals from getting into places they shouldn't be. None of them like stepping on chicken wire. Goes for people,too, but then again we happen to wear shoes! Blessings to you,Elmer+ all out there in NYSofMind land! Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Doreen,

Thank you for your comments. I will see that Anna gets your message.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your comments. I will see that Anna gets your messages.

Marilyn