Tuesday, June 17, 2014


You have asked me how to get rid of weeds along side of the fence and how to get rid of poison ivy.  I could give you a lot of remedies to get rid of these, but they wouldn't work.  If you put weed killer on them, it will kill what you see, but they will come back again.

I will start with the fence first.  If you plant flowers around the fence, the flowers roots make choke out the weeds.  The best way to remove the weeds is to pull them out roots and all.  You should water the the weeds and give the water a few minutes to sink in.  Then pull the weeds.  Like I said you must pull them out roots and all.  Sometimes in pulling weeds you may start on one side of the fence and have to work around to the other because of the roots.

When it comes to poison ivy, you can burn it, or spray it, but like the weeds around the fence, the best to get rid of poison ivy is to pull it out roots and all.  If you burn it or spray it, it will come back.  If you allergic to poison ivy, I would get someone who isn't to do it.

Elmer and John are allergic to poison ivy.  So when we find poison ivy, I am the one that goes and removes it. My dress has long sleeves and skirt so I don't have to worry about that, but I do wear heavy gloves.  I make sure the gloves cover my hands and up my arm to my dress sleeve.  I make sure no part of my body is showing.  I take a shovel to loosen the soil around the poison ivy and then carefully pull it up.   Try to make sure, I get roots and all.  If you don't get all roots, it will come back again.  As I pull them, I put them in a plastic garbage bag.  I try to get them in the center and not touch the edges of the bag with the poison ivy.  When I get done, because of Elmer's and John's allergies, I even throw my gloves in there.  I seal the plastic bag and put that bag inside of another plastic bag that I close and seal. Then I throw it all in the garbage can.   When I get back to the house, I wash the shovel in hot water with heavy soap.  Then I go in the house, shower and change my clothes putting my clothes in a plastic bag.  I wash the clothes in the washer in hot water and laundry detergent.  I don't put any other clothes in with them.  The bag that had the clothes in it goes inside another plastic bag and in the garbage.  I may be over careful but I want to make sure Elmer and John don't get it.

Elmer once got poison ivy so bad that he ended up in the hospital.  I wasn't at home at the time.  John has also gotten it, but I was home and had a remedy for it.  Again, I say if you are allergic to poison ivy don't try this yourself.

If you have someone in the area and you burn poison ivy, it can spread in the air to that person.  A friend of ours got poison ivy because she was visiting a friend while her friend's husband burned poison ivy.  He thought he was far enough from the house so it wouldn't bother anyone.  He was wrong.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.  If I don't have questions, I don't know what to write about.

Trust God's Wisdom,


ga447 said...

Thank you for the information on the poison ivy. I just returned from NY and my niece has this issue - I will pass it on. I am back in the Midwest and I miss New York already with the mild cool weather in the morning and night.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi ga447,

You just returned from here !!! How about that. It is cool in the morning here and night. I am prejudice, but I love NY state and glad it is my home. Glad Anna's advice could help you.


Anonymous said...

Hi all, As an example-my Dad was clearing land many yrs ago. He was brought up on a farm+Even though he was around poison ivy all the time he never got it. He was burning all the brush which included poison ivy+ did so very carefully. Of course, the smoke got on him+ he breathed it in, too. He was so ill the doctor wanted to put him in the hospital! He wouldn't go, so the doctor had my Mom bring him daily for some kind if shot. I was only 4 yrs old then; and I remember Mom putting Calamine lotion all over on him. He looked like the "Energizer Bunny"! His eyes were swollen shut+his lips were huge! Burning any kind of poisonous plant is really much too dangerous. The way Anna does it, even though it is a lot of work, is much safer for all concerned. Anna, besides Elmer+John, are any of your other kids org 'kids highly allergic also? Blessings to all- In Christ, Carol

Evie said...

What a wealth of information Anna it really is appreciated and will help people for sure


New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Carol,
I have had poison ivy, too, and I don't want it again. My Mom used calamine lotion on me, too. Will ask Anna if others in her family are allergic to it, too and let you know on here.

Bless You,

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Evie,

I will see that Anna gets your message.


Countryside Reflections said...

I'm so glad that we don't have any poison ivy on our property, and I've never been in contact with it so I don't know if I'm allergic to it (and I hope to never find out). Thank you for all of this information about weeds. I've got plenty of those.


New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Doreen,

You never want it either. It's terrible. I will pass your message on to Anna,


annie said...

I can't use her method, I am allergic too, but thank her for sharing. I will try wetting down the regular garden weeds before I pull them to see if it helps me with that. Thank you both for sharing.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Annie,

Sure glad that Anna helped you. I will see she gets your message.


SueAnn said...

During canning season, which can start in early spring sometimes, I take the boiling water left from the canning, outside and dump it on weeds..kills them quick! down to the roots....From July til late Fall, I will have spots all over the yard of dead weeds!!!
Being partial woods here..we have poison ivy all over..it makes red berries in the Fall and birds a=carry it around....there will be small spots of it all over..when I pull weeds, I have to look closely at what I am doing...we dig the ivy up, and toss it in a spot in the woods, roots up- so they dry out and die.
any part of the plant will give you a rash....even the roots.
In Ohio, it is illegal to burn noxious weeds...people have been known to get it in their lungs, and die....ivy, even dead, is poisonous.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi SueAnn,

Thank you so much for your comments. I know we appreciate your help.


SueAnn said...

would you ask Anna, what herbs she grows, and does she make vinegars with them, does she dry some for winter...does she make any herb jellies? Thanks, Marilyn.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi SueAnn,
I sure will. I know she grows some herbs for medicine reason, but I don't know all she does with the rest. Anna was planning on doing a post or more on herbs.