Friday, October 31, 2014
GRANDMOTHER OLIVE ASKS: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
Now before I start, I am not blaming the people whose house it is. Maybe the man was bringing in wood when the photographer came. Maybe the photographer asked that the wood be placed where it is for the picture - to prove it is a wood burning stove. Maybe there were other reasons, I don't know about. So I do not blame them as I do not know the facts. But I will tell you things, that are in this picture, that you should not do if you own a wood burning stove.
Lets start with the logs. The wood logs should not be in that location so near the stove. Should something happen and a spark fly off, those logs could cause a major fire. Also, these logs look like they are sitting on cardboard. Again, should a spark fly hitting that cardboard, would cause a real major fire. The log should not be close to that door. If the logs caught on fire, they would block an exit from the house. In case of a fire, every exit counts.
I see a little bit of black on the left side which could be the bin to put the logs in. Logs should be put in a metal bin away from the stove. It has to be close so you can get the logs and put them in the stove as needed, but they should not be right next to the stove. Jean's log bin is across the kitchen from the wood stove. Anna's bin is in her kitchen next to her stove, but there is over a yard between her wood burning stove and the logs. Both Jean and Anna's kitchen has two door exits out of that room - one the back door and the other side of the kitchen there is an exit through the mud room.
Another thing that concerned me is what is on the floor in front of the wood burning stove. I hope it is either tile or stone and not carpeting. Carpeting sets on fire very easy and could cause a major fire. Now they have some carpet out that they say is fire proof, but I don't know safe that is. Also, tile or glue or whatever glued the stone could also burn, but the chance is not as great as carpeting.
The next thing you shouldn't do is something I have to admit, I have done myself. On the front of the stove it looks like child slacks are hanging from the handle. Now it could be my eyes and it is a pot holder, or cloth, but it looks like slacks to me. You shouldn't put cloth items on the front of the stove, Now, I admit, when the children were young, if they came in from outside for say lunch and were going out again, I put their slacks on the oven handle to dry. But, because I did it does not mean it was right.
A thing that is on there that I haven't seen in years is about half way up the wooden piece by the pipe. That pulls out and you can attach mittens, socks, or like small items on to dry over the stove. The heat from the stove made them dry faster than hanging them in the basement. Of course that was the days before we had all the modern items we do now. Still you have to watch that items do not get too hot.
I previously spoke of sparks. Now, when using the wood burning stove you should be so careful that sparks should not fly. If this happens, you should check what you are doing. But, I can never say it doesn't happen. With the wood stove you must be more careful and fire preventive than in other stoves.
Be With God,