Friday, October 31, 2014

GRANDMOTHER OLIVE ASKS: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

I understand you wanted me to do another post, but I couldn't think of anything that would interest you.  When I saw this picture, I saw things that shouldn't be done near a wood burning stove. I saw things that are dangerous.

Now before I start, I am not blaming the people whose house it is.  Maybe the man was bringing in wood when the photographer came.  Maybe the photographer asked that the wood be placed where it is for the picture - to prove it is a wood burning stove.  Maybe there were other reasons, I don't know about.  So I do not blame them as I do not know the facts.  But I will tell you things, that are in this picture, that you should not do if you own a wood burning stove.

Lets start with the logs.  The wood logs should not be in that location so near the stove.  Should something happen and a spark fly off, those logs could cause a major fire.  Also, these logs look like they are sitting on cardboard.  Again, should a spark fly hitting that cardboard, would cause a real major fire.  The log should not be close to that door.  If the logs caught on fire, they would block an exit from the house.  In case of a fire, every exit counts.

I see a little bit of black on the left side which could be the bin to put the logs in.  Logs should be put in a metal bin away from the stove.  It has to be close so you can get the logs and put them in the stove as needed, but they should not be right next to the stove.  Jean's log bin is across the kitchen from the wood stove.  Anna's bin is in her kitchen next to her stove, but there is over a yard between her wood burning stove and the logs.  Both Jean and Anna's kitchen has two door exits out of that room - one the back door and the other side of the kitchen there is an exit through the mud room.

Another thing that concerned me is what is on the floor in front of the wood  burning stove.  I hope it is either tile or stone and not carpeting.  Carpeting sets on fire very easy and could cause a major fire.  Now they have some carpet out that they say is fire proof, but I don't know safe that is.  Also, tile or glue or whatever glued the stone could also burn, but the chance is not as great as carpeting.

The next thing you shouldn't do is something I have to admit, I have done myself.  On the front of the stove it looks like child slacks are hanging from the handle.  Now it could be my eyes and it is a pot holder, or cloth, but it looks like slacks to me.  You shouldn't put cloth items on the front of the stove,  Now, I admit, when the children were young, if they came in from outside for say lunch and were going out again, I put their slacks on the oven handle to dry.  But, because I did it does not mean it was right.

A thing that is on there that I haven't seen in years is about half way up the wooden piece by the pipe.  That pulls out and you can attach mittens, socks, or like small items on to dry over the stove.  The heat from the stove made them dry faster than hanging them in the basement.  Of course that was the days before we had all the modern items we do now. Still you have to watch that items do not get too hot.

I previously spoke of sparks.  Now, when using the wood burning stove you should be so careful that sparks should not fly.  If this happens, you should check what you are doing.  But, I can never say it doesn't happen.  With the wood stove you must be more careful and fire preventive than in other stoves.

Be With God,
Olive




9 comments:

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you all enjoy Grandmother Olive this morning.

Today is the last day, I have to go to work at Wolcott until November 19th. I'm not crazy about driving over there, but the money helps, So I will go. A friend's husband is driving me today.

Marilyn

Countryside Reflections said...

Very good information, and as usual Grandmother Olive has wise advise. It's so nice to hear from her.

Be safe driving Marilyn. I hope your heater is fixed soon.

Doreen

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Doreen,
I will see that Grandmother Olive gets your message.

To get the car fixed, I have to wait until I get the money from the Wolcott job to pay for it. When I do, I will get it fixed.

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Yup, I saw the same problems evident in the pic, too. Thank you, Grandmother Olive for pointing out the DON'T'S of using a wood burning stove, while at the same time encouraging proper use.
Marilyn, How's your boss doing now? Hope your car gets its new heater sooner than later ;).
Take care, Carol

Willow's Quiet Corner said...

Good information to think about if we are ever in a similar situation with a wood burning stove, or anytime some type of indoor fire is involved (thinking about fireplaces here, also).

Thanks to grandmother Olive for sharing this!

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Carol,
I will see that Grandmother Olive gets your comments.

I think my boss is a nervous wreck. She has never had an operation before and she is afraid they will put her to sleep and she won't wake up. Of course all that was written about Joan Rivers didn't help her. Her operation is November 20th so I don't have to go back there until then.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Willow's Quiet Corner,

Will see that Grandmother Olive gets your message.. It is good that we all know this information around stoves or fireplaces.

Marilyn

Tom said...

Thanks Grandmother Olive for the valuable safety lesson! Better to be safe than sorry. Tom The Backroads Traveller

New York State Of Mind said...

Yes, Tom, we should. I will see that Grandmother Olive gets your message.

Marilyn