Thursday, October 30, 2014

PALMYRA, NY - CHURCH STREET CEMETARY

Seeing Halloween is coming tomorrow - what better to show today than a cemetery.  This cemetery is one of seven in the town of Palmyra and that is not including the cemeteries that some farms that date back have on their property.  This cemetery is on Church Street, on a hill across from the Catholic Church.  The land was originally donated by John Swift, the founded of our town, for the first school.  Later, I heard there was a church built there.  Then it became the cemetery.   Pictures two through six are the graves of John Swift and his wife.  These graves date back to the early 1800. You will note that in pictures 17 and 18 is a fairly new grave stone.  I believe the family replaced the old 1800 grave stone with a new one.  Some of the grave stones have not weathered the years as some of the others.  The last picture shows how high up the hill the graves are on. There are people who live in our town and village that are related to some of the people in this cemetery.

8 comments:

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Everyone,

Here are some pictures of one of our seven cemeteries we have in Palmyra. This is the oldest of the cemeteries.

Marilyn

Tom said...

Man oh man Marilyn, you have to be a mountain goat to visit this cemetery. I'll meet you at the cemetery at midnight tomorrow! Tom The Backroads Traveller

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Tom,
It's worse when you have a fear of heights like I do.

Marilyn

Countryside Reflections said...

I love old cemeteries, and this is a fitting post for the Halloween season.

Doreen

Vickie said...

I truly find old cemeteries fascinating.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Doreen and Vickie,
I love some of the old cemeteries, too. They are interesting. Thought this one would be good for Halloween.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

I found out who Alvin Smith is - the one with the newest grave maker. Alvin Smith was brother to Joseph Smith who founded the Mormon Religion. Joseph Smith founded that religion in Palmyra, NY. The church probably paid for the new stone that is on Alvin's grave. Just thought I would pass on the information.

Marilyn

Unknown said...

I visited the cemetary July of this year 2018 to visit Alvin Smith grave. was privileged to see General Smith's gravesite and that of the other early pioneers if Palmyra. There is a Palmyra street in Fairoaks, Calif., Near Sacramento the area I live in. Will remind me of the very pleasant days I spent on Palmyra this summer. Camped at the fairgrounds.