Sunday, November 23, 2014
GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH, LYONS, NY
The church was designed in the Tudor Gothic Revival style by James DeLancey Wilson of New York City. It is built of natural gray limestone quarried locally at Sheldrake, N.Y. and local masons were employed for the construction. It features a 60 foot gothic tower, buttresses with pinnacles and Tudor arched windows an doors.
It is the second oldest Episcopal building and second oldest parish in Wayne County. Since August of 1994 the church building, parish hall and rectory have been in the Nation and State Historic registers.
The 1840 Henry Erben Organ (picture five) The churches houses a historic organ. The organ built by Henry Erben in 1849, is one of only four remaining examples in New York State of this 19th century organ builder, and the only one outside of New York City. It has been restored and is used in worship weekly.
Historic Stained Glass Window (picture 6). Life of Christ Window. The window includes five scenes of Jesus life including the Good Shepherd, Jesus Birth, Jesus Teaching in the Temple, and the Empty Tomb. Other panels include Epiphany, the vine, the Greek Cross, an ear of corn and St. Luke with the symbol of the ox.