Monday, December 22, 2014

ELMER ANSWERS QUESTIONS - SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE

I will answer the easiest one first.  Yes, it is okay to send Christmas cards to Amish as Marilyn said.  Depending on what group or even family, some will reply with cards.  Some won't.  If they don't, please don't take it personal, it is their way.  Other Amish hand make their own cards and send them.  Some buy Christmas Cards at the store and send them to their Englisher friends.  Anna makes most of our Christmas Cards.

Someone also asked during my journey with the Lord and my being born again,  why was I worried that my new religion ways would harm my relationship with Anna.  That happened when I first was born again and I didn't know if Anna was.

First let me explain that most Amish do not believe in being born again.  It is believed to be an Englisher way not an Amish way.  Our group is one of the few born again Amish groups.  We hope and pray that there are more Amish being led by the Lord to being born again.  Knowing the true way of the Lord.  I don't know if I would have been led to the Lord if it weren't for Eli being born again and leading me.  Of course, Eli said if it hadn't been him, the Lord would have chosen someone else.

It is hard, even for one Amish trying to show another Amish the way.  Even showing them in the Bible the teachings of the Lord.  The ways of the Lord.  It's like I am trying to get them to leave the Amish which is not true.  It's that I want to show them the way.

I know all I can do is show the person the way.  It is up to them if they will accept it or not.  That goes for Amish, Old Order Mennonite or Englisher.  Maybe they will think about it when they go home and follow the way.  Maybe the Lord has someone else to lead them.

So getting back to Anna and I.  We were courting at the time.  As being born again was not common among the Amish, it was doubtful that Anna would be born again.  I being newly born again didn't have the knowledge, faith,   or courage as I do now.  I was afraid that when I told Anna of being born again and explaining it to her that she would leave me.  That she would not understand my way.  That I was leaving the Amish religion.

It was such a relief to find that her family were born again, too.  That she understood that I was not leaving the Amish.  That she believed the ways that I did.  I had worried about nothing.   The Lord had led us both His way.  I hope I answered questions.

Feel free to ask questions.  I will know what you are interested in.

Trust God's Wisdom,
Elmer

THERE WILL BE SOME CHANGES NEXT WEEK.  JEAN WILL BE ON MONDAY.  ANNA ON TUESDAY.  ELMER ON WEDNESDAY.  RECIPE ON THURSDAY,  I WANTED ELMER TO GIVE US SOMETHING TO START OUR NEW YEAR OUT.  THE REST OF THE WEEK WILL BE THE SAME.

JEAN'S SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE

3-4 bacon stripes, diced
1 onion, diced
1 large apple, peeled and diced
1 medium head sliced red (or white) cabbage (sliced)
1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
salt
pepper

In dutch oven brown bacon.  Add onion, and apple.  When tender, add cabbage, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Cover.  Let simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  If it goes dry, add a little water.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marilyn, for conveying my question to Elmer! He is very good at helping people to understand. I had heard something about Amish becoming born again, but I usually get my information through documentaries, and thus from ex-communicated people who have become worldly enough to appear on film. Of course, it makes sense that not everybody who converts would want to leave the Amish culture (and in this the fact that we do not hear much from them also makes sense!). I am very glad that Elmer and Anna and many of their friends and family were able to stay Amish.

Have a great morning!

Stacy

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Stacy,

Glad that I could help. Elmer is very good helping people understand. I will see that Elmer gets your message.

You have a great morning, too,
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks Elmer for answering Stacy's question so well. I'm so blessed to know that Bishop Eli+his family, you+Anna and your family, and your community as born-again believers are truly my brothers and sisters in Christ. We're all on the same page in our relationship to the Lord. A Blessed Christmas to you all! Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Carol,
Elmer, Anna and their group along with us are on the same page in relationship with the Lord. I will see that they get your message.

Blessed and Merry Christmas,
Marilyn