Tuesday, January 12, 2016

JEAN ANSWERS QUESTIONS

Found out that there a lot of questions that I haven't answered.  So, when I found out Elmer answered questions, thought I better, too.

Do ladies use beewax on their thread when they sew to help keep the thread smoother?  I don't use it, but I know Grandmother Olive uses it sometimes.  She said with arthritis, the beewax makes it smoother and easier for her to work with.

What makes the best pastry, butter or oil or lard.  I believe the lard.  That is what I use the most, so does Grandmother Olive, and so does Anna.  But, if I didn't have used butter and I have used oil - both came out well.  It's just I think lard is the best and gives a special taste.

After the eighth grade, so the children continue education somewhere else or do they begin apprenticeship in a trade?  Our children do not continue education after the 8th grade.  Young men learn farming in addition to another trade.  Young ladies learn cooking, baking, sewing, cleaning, etc. Some young ladies also learn a trade.

Do Old Order Mennonite and Amish speak a form of German?  Yes, we call it Deitsch.  

Are school textbooks in both English and Deitsch?  I don't know about all schools, but our area school books are in English.  Children know the Deitsch language when they go to school and English is the new language to them.  Katie is an exception because she was born an Englisher and had to learn Deitsch.  Now she can speak both languages.

In our Old Order Mennonite Church meetings on Sunday, is mostly in English.

Does everyone not in the wedding wear black?  Men wear the same.  Amish ladies and older ladies like Grandmother Olive wear black.  The rest of us Old Order Mennonite wore dress with small flowers on the front of them.  But, we do not wear anything that would take attention from the Bride and Groom.

Now the questions you asked Thomas and Ruth, I will see if they will answer them on here, when they get back.

Also, I will see if I can get Grandmother Olive to tell about her and Grandfather in Pinecraft.  They are trying to talk us into all coming down.  David and I are trying to figure out where they would put us all, but Grandmother said they have it all figured out.  Amish Bishop Eli's Mother, Fanny said they would take the over flow of people Grandmother Olive couldn't fit in their cottage, which is very kind of her.  We are also considering the cost of all seven of us going.  Thomas and Ruth got theirs as a wedding gift.  Well, we will see.

Be With God,
Jean


11 comments:

littlemancat said...

Thank you, Jean and Marilyn! Always so interesting. I do hope that your family can go to Pinecraft! I think it will all work out.
Just for fun, maybe you folks have some questions for us Englishers?

Mary

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Mary,
You are most welcome. I do hope they get to go, too. Know they would like to go.


Yes, maybe they have some questions for us Englishers?

Marilyn

Vickie said...

Very interesting Jean! I think you can all go. If Grandmother Olive says it will work, I am quite sure it will!

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Vickie,
I agree with you, if Grandmother Olive says it will work - it will work.

Hugs to Mable, Henry and Murphy,
Marilyn and Pierre

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
Well, the snow is coming down here right now. You can hardly see across the street. I know the farmers and skiers must be happy right now.

Marilyn

Angela Tucker said...

Good evening, Marilyn. I agree with Vickie...Grandmother Olive says she's got a plan, she's got a GOOD plan!! Thank you to Jean. Everyone is always so sweet to answer all of our questions. Have a good night.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Angela,
I agree with you and Vickie regarding Grandmother Olive and her plans. I will see that everyone gets your message.
Hope you have a good night, too,
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Jean, thank you.
Does everyone read in both languages, or just In English?
Maybe this has already been discussed......do the children go to private Mennonite schools?
If so, what kind of training/education do the teachers have?

What an experience for your family, if you can all go to Florida.
Since I also live in NYS, it sounds like a good plan to me.

Dynna said...

Thank you, Jean for answering questions. I agree with others that if Grandmother Olive says they have it all worked out for your whole family to have places to stay, then it would be a great family vacation. I would jump at that opportunity and go! ☺

annie said...

Very interesting answers, y'all are kind to answer them. I hope you get to Florida. Grandmother Olive must be a very wise lady.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
I will see that they get your messages and questions. Grandmother Olive is a very wise lady.

Marilyn