Monday, February 12, 2018

PORTER SPEAKS:

Thank you all so much for your prayers about the Amtrak accident for myself, my family, those that passed and the passengers.  In all the years I have been working we have had accidents, but not as bad as this one that I have been on.

Everything happened so fast.  I had taken one of my many walks through the cars to make sure everyone was all right and had no needs.  Then I went in my car and went to sleep.  I knew something was wrong when I fell out of bed.  I got up, started out my door and texting on my cell phone to find out what happened from the engineer or conductor.  Usual policy on the train. Standing, I also knew, we were on our side.  I got out of my car and started down the hall when I hit my head on something.  My cell phone must have gone flying out of my hand and I went out.  When I came around,  I smelled smoke and started getting people off the train as fast I could.

People wanted to take all their stuff with them - clothes, luggage, etc.  I kept telling them to leave it and get off.  A couple people told me I was bleeding, but I didn't notice it or feel it.  Out of no where a man grabbed my shoulder and told me to get off the train.  I quickly told them who I was and what I was doing.  Again they told me I was injured and they were taking me off the train.  I kept telling them they couldn't do that.  When they got me to the door, I realized yes they could tell me that.  There were police, ambulances, doctors, and I don't remember all who was there.

They tried to put me in an ambulance but I wanted to see the front of the train.  I wanted to know what happened.  Finally two of the men walked me so I could see and I said language that I won't repeat here. I couldn't believe it.  There were people all over, but I could see the two trains had hit. Seeing that, I knew, my two friends had to be gone.  They got me in an ambulance and I started shaking.  I couldn't stop.  They got all my medical information that I could remember. Then they gave me a shot because when I woke up I was in the hospital emergency.  They had treated me and I was in a room.  They told me,  my wife was on her way there.  I asked if they knew she was in Florida.  They said yes and she was flying in.

I was suppose to be eating something when she arrived.  The doctor spoke with us and released me to her.  My son and daughter-in-law were there.  When we got to the hotel I told the ladies go in and told my son that I wanted to see the train. I can't believe it hit another train.  Son tried to talk me out of it, but we went.  They wouldn't let us up close, but as close as we could see was bad enough.

During the afternoon, I tried to sleep, but kept seeing the train and people.  Son prayed with me and read me bible passages that helped.  Even today sometimes, I still see those trains when I try to sleep.

One of my co-workers came over in the late afternoon and told me that my friends had passed.  He also told me what they think happened that caused the accident, but they didn't for sure, at that time.

That is all I can tell at this time.  If you have watched television, I am sure you now know what happened.  I have been given a few weeks to recover and rest.  When we came to Florida, I was asked if I would fly - but I said not if I can get an Amtrak, which we did.

Again, thank you so much for your prayers.

God Bless You,
Porter


11 comments:

Vanssmomc said...

Good morning Marilyn, my thoughts and prayers go to all of the people that were on that Amtrak train. So glad to hear from Porter and that he is doing well. God Bless. Cathy in Webster

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Cathy,
I know Porter thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Glad to hear he is doing well, too.

God Bless you and yours,

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn, So thankful to the Lord that Porter is doing well physically. I know the emotional affects will take time. As bad as this accident was, it could have been much worse and it wasn't. God is totally in control, even though it may not seem to be so as per our own thinking and expectations. Blessings to all. Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Carol,
You are right the accident could have been worse. Emtions do take time. We just have to put everything in God's hands.

God's Bless to you and yours,
Marilyn

Heritage Hall said...

Praise our gracious Lord for Porter's survival and hopefully, his complete healing of body and spirit from so traumatic an experience.
Continued prayers for all involved, particularly for those who passed and their Families. So very sad.

Tom said...

...you are a dedicated man who puts duty before self, something that is becoming rare today. God bless you, sir!

Laura said...

Continuing to keep you and all concerned in my thoughts and prayers....

Vickie said...

Porter I am so very sorry about the loss of your friends. I hope and pray you are healing.

Bonnie said...

Thank YOU Marilyn for sharing Porter's story with us ... and thank YOU Porter for letting us know what you went through and how you're doing now. I'm so sorry for the experience that so many people were subject to. Terrible loss of the two engineers and so sorry for all the passengers and workers that were injured. God bless all of you. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Porter, thank you for this update. God bless you.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
Porter has received all your messages and he is humble for all the prayers and thoughts from us.

Marilyn