Thursday, March 22, 2018

EDWARD TELLS WHAT'S GOING ON

Mom asked me to put on the post this time, so here goes. 

Margaret had her birthday so she is 17 now and teaches at one of the schools.  It's not the one my brother and sisters go to, but another Mennonite School not far from our house.  Their teacher had to leave do to health reasons and they couldn't get a teacher.  As Margaret had been helping at my brother and sisters school, they asked her if she would consider coming to theirs.  After a discussion with our school board, their school board, Bishop Joseph and their Bishop, it was decided that Margaret would be a great teacher.  Of course, they consulted her, too and she was thrilled.  If we try real hard, maybe we can get her to put a post on here about her teaching school.  Like I said, maybe.

What makes our family laugh it she is no shy around adults, and people our age.  Yet, at school she is so comfortable and understanding with the children.  Even the problem children, seem no problem to her.  She has grades 1-8 and handles them all at the same time.  So far, they are very happy with her.

Thomas, Ruth, and baby Bridget have moved into their new house which means I got my Grandmother's house.  Dad (David), Thomas and I decided to gut the kitchen to remodel it.  When we all had our axes in hand about to hit the cabinets, I yelled stop.  I couldn't do it.  I couldn't tear my Grandmother's kitchen apart.  There were so many memories in the kitchen..  Dad and Thomas looked at me like I was crazy.

Mom (Jean) and Ruth were there.  They said something had to be done with the kitchen.  Mom asked that us men do something else while she and Ruth look around.  I told them not to do anything until I got back.  They promised they wouldn't.  So we went upstairs to figure the plans I had of making two bedrooms into a bedroom and bath.

Finally Mom called us back.  She said the kitchen had to be updated.  All the plumbing probably has to be replaced along with the electric which Dad, Thomas and I agreed.  Mom says so the cabinets have to come down.  What Mom and Ruth suggested is taking down the cabinets.  I moaned.  They said to wait and listen.  Take the cabinets down, strip them down to the original wood - if I like the original wood, fine - if not stain them to a color I like.  Also, modern door openers on them.  The stove and refrigerator have to go.  Thomas and Ruth had problems with the stove.  Mom said it's time to replace them.  Being so interested in cooking - they have to go.  I wanted the same tile that Grandma had on the floor and the ladies groaned, but we are seeing if we can find close to it. 

So now, the kitchen is gutted. In stipping one of the cabinet doors, we found it be knotty pine wood.  So we are going to strip them all and keep the natural color.  Dad says they also have to be sanded.  Whether it was my Grandmother or someone else who owned the house before her, they sure had several coats of paint on top of them. 

In addition to all the remodeling, I am doing taxes for people.  It's tax time.  The new modern way to do taxes is on the computer.  We are not suppose to use computers.  I went to Bishop Joseph.  After a discussion with some other Bishop's and the deacons, it was decided I could have a computer to use only on taxes.  I can't use it for casual conversation, advertisement, etc.  So some people's taxes on do on computer and some I do without the computer.

Spring is here, so we will soon be plowing.  My place doesn't really have much room for plowing large crops.  The man behind me wants to sell some of him.  So Dad and I are seeing if we can make a deal with him to add on.  Either us buying the land or my renting it.

I guess that is all I have to tell ata this time.

Be With God,
Edward


10 comments:

Vanssmomc said...

Good Morning Marilyn and Edward, I am glad to hear that you want to keep the kitchen as your Grandmother had it, updated yes, but still essentially your Grandmother's kitchen. Best of luck to you Edward as you turn your Grandmother's house into your home. Would also love to see a post from Margaret about her teaching. Cathy in Webster

Tom said...

...I hope that the remodeling goes well.

littlemancat said...

Thank you Edward for writing this very interesting update and to Marilyn for posting. I like the respect and love that you feel for your Grandmother and her house that is now yours to cherish. I agree that the updates are necessary for safety and practical reasons. Hope the work goes well.
And yes, please try to encourage Margaret to write about her teaching.
Mary

Vickie said...

Edward it is so wonderful to read of your great love for your grandmother. Maybe we could see a picture of the finished kitchen?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Edward, for taking the time to do this post.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
I will see that Edward gets all your messages. We are asking Bishop Joseph if he will allow Edward to send family posts to my computer from his. Right now, I am calling and reading all my messages to him. It would be a lot faster to have him send messages and posts on the computer, but I don't want Edward or I to go against his religion.

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn+Edward, So glad to have an update from you, Edward. Sounds like your Grandma's house is now a work-in-progress and I'm sure when the work is done it will be a beautiful home for you. I'm equally sure you know what an awesome blessing your family is to you.
Hope you'll be willing to post again as your home renovations go forward. Many blessings, Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Carol,
Will see that Edward gets your message.
Blessings to you and yours,
Marilyn

Dynna said...

Thank you Edward for doing a post. It is lovely to read about his connection to his grandma through her house. Happy he didn't just demo all the kitchen. It saves alot of money to just update the cabinets. Would love hearing from Margaret, if she decides to write a post.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi dynnamae n,
Saw that Edward got your message. It does save a lot of money on cabinets. Hope we can get Margaret to do a post, too.

Marilyn