Tuesday, June 4, 2019

ELMER'S POST

Well, I did get that list of 15 items that Anna gave me done.  Of course, that made her come up with another one.

It was so nice for my children to plow my field while I was gone.  Then we got it all planted.  But, one thing is I just like to sit and plow.  To me, there is nothing like hooking up the horses and plow, then going out and plowing.  Once I get everything going in the right direction, I can just sit and think or pray.  Lots of times, I think of things to pray to thank the Lord for or people to pray to the Lord for.  Sometimes it is to thank the Lord for all He has given us.  Sometimes it is just to think.  I thought I could get along without it this year after all my children and neighbors did for us, but I couldn't.  I had to get out and plow.  Someone must have a field that needs farming.

I mentioned this to my friend Bishop Eli and he said he had someone for me.  Told about this lady before that was a widow Englisher and we had done some work on her house for her.  Well she leased the field to a young man.   The young man broke his leg and could not plow or plant it.  So, I went to his house and told him I would be glad to plow it for him.  He wanted to know my price and I said nothing.  I think he went into slight shock.  Well, I explained my situation and he said go to it.  So I did.

I got the team and the plow attached and over I went.  Got my time, to sit, think, and pray.  I enjoyed every minute of it and he got the plowing done.  Eli had also gotten some of our people to come over and plant it - for nothing.  We also figured out who would do what regarding weeds and harvesting when the time came.

That was so good, I wanted to do it again.  Well, Bishop Eli didn't have anything among our people, but told me to ask Bishop Joseph.  So I went and asked Mennonite Bishop Joseph.  Well, he said that there was piece of property next to his that Michael, Jean's son, hadn't done anything with and if they didn't he would, but he has a LARGE farm and he really had other things he could do, but he wouldn't let good soil go to waste.  So over to Jean's I went.

David said as much as he encouraged Michael to farm that piece, he hasn't done it.  After believing I really wanted to do it, he told me I could.  As they live a way from me, I had to have my horses trucked to Joseph's farm.  Joseph had a plow just in case one of this tractors went out, he still could plow.  So I hooked my horses to his plow and off I went.  Again, time to think and pray.

While I was plowing, Michael came over.  He thanked me, but I told him we weren't done yet.  We had to plant it.  He tried to get out of it, but he finally agreed, so the next couple of days we got it planted.  Michael wanted to know how much I wanted for doing it and I told him nothing, but I would probably need him on house roofing and siding jobs I have to do.  Now Michael likes that work.  We have  worked together before.  So he agreed.

David and Jean couldn't believe that I could Michael to work and they couldn't.  I said because I'm not his parents or his grandparents.  I'm a friend.  Had the same problem with a couple of our boys at his age.  Would work for someone else, but not at home unless forced.

So I finally got the plowing in that I like to do. Got my time for praying and thinking.  Helped a couple  people out. 

Now if I could just get rid of that list Anna gave me.

Trust God's Wisdom,
Elmer




10 comments:

Tom said...

...quiet moments are so important!

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Tom,

Oh, that is true.

Marilyn

Laura said...

I think those fields were just waiting for Elmer!

littlemancat said...

I do understand that quiet time which feeds the soul. Glad you found some plowing to do - good for you and helpful for others. How good that you led Michael into working along with you and him finding that he liked it.
Good luck with Anna's list - haha!
Mary

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Laura,

I bet they were, too.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Mary,

I do understand that quiet time that feeds the soul, too. Will see that Elmer gets your message and all the others. Think he kind of enjoys the list Anna gives. haha

Marilyn

William Kendall said...

Quite wise.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi William,

Elmer is for sure.

Marilyn

Heritage Hall said...

What an uplifting and inspiring post. Elmer is so wise and witty.
It was the highlight of my day to escape to the world of Elmer & Anna
where love, peace and God's work abide.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Heritage Hall,
So glad it uplifted you. Will see that Elmer and Anna get your message. Elmer seems to have a special way of putting things and seeing things.

Marilyn