Wednesday, June 17, 2020

SUSAN'S SOFT MOLASSES COOKIES

SUSAN'S SOFT MOLASSES COOKIES

1 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1/4 cup sour milk*
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour

Cream the shortening and the sugar and add the molasses and milk.  Mix well and add dry ingredients mixed and sifted together.  Mix thoroughly.  Roll the dough thin and cut in rounds.  Chilling the dough before rolling makes it easier to handle.  Bake in greased sheet in moderate hot oven (375 degrees ).

To make sour milk, put 1/4 teaspoon vinegar or lemon in with the milk to make 1/4 cup.  Do not use milk that has turned sour in your refrigerator as it could make you ill.

This recipe is my great-grandmothers, to my grandmother,  to my mother, to me. 

Susan
                             

6 comments:

Tom said...

...sounds good.

littlemancat said...

Yummy sounding! I love what I think of as heritage recipes. I treasure the hand-written recipe card of my mother's peanutbutter cookie and ranger cookie recipes. Thank you, Susan.
Mary

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Tom,

They are good. I've had some.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Mary.
I have many had written cookie recipes that my Mom had, too. They taste better when they were Mom's recipe. I will see that Susan gets your thanks.

Marilyn

Nancy said...

Thank you so much!

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Nancy,

Susan was so pleased that you asked for the recipe.

Marilyn