Sunday, May 12, 2013

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - MY MOM

This is a picture of my Mother in 1941-that was seven years before I was born.



My Mother was born in 1909 in the hills of Kentucky. Her Mother died in child birth so her Father moved her and the rest of her family to Chicago where his sister lived. Her Dad passed away after he fell down a flight of stairs and broke his neck. My Mom was taken by his sister where she was raised until she graduated from High School. She worked as a maid until she could complete her courses in business and became a secretary. She met my Dad in the lunch room where they worked in Chicago. My Dad was a tool and die maker. They were married over 60 years before she passed away and my Dad passed three years later. My parents moved to California and then later to New York State where my Father had been born and raised. I was born in New York.


 At first my Dad worked and my Mother stayed home where they raised my brothers and myself. I am the youngest. My Father went into the Real Estate Business where my Mother became a trail blazer. After my brothers had grown - I was in High School, my Mother obtained her Real Estate Sales license. When the license didn't come and didn't come, my Dad finally called Albany to find out where her license was. My Dad hung up laughing so hard he had tears coming down. Seems the State of New York had never had a Real Estate Sales Lady before. All the licenses the state had were for Sales Men not Sales Women and they didn't know what to do. Dad told them to give my Mom a Sales Man license and send it, which they did. The first Real Estate Sales license my Mom got - had her as a man. Shortly after that they came up with licenses for women. Both my parents were hard workers and wanted us to have a better life than they did. My Mom was a great cook. She could bake the best pies, cakes, cookies and meals. 


 She cooked all our dinners for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, etc. until she was 76. That year she asked us how we liked her Easter Dinner. We all said we loved it. She said to enjoy because it was her last - and it was. My sister-in-laws and I took over after that. Mom would bring some of our favorite dishes, but she never cooked a big meal like that again. Mom grew up knowing medicine from the hills. She believed in doctors, but she could make her own remedies. Once when I was grown, I had been to the doctor three times for a flu I had and the doctor still hadn't gotten rid of it. On the the third time Mom went to the doctor with me. He was going to refill the prescription again. Mom said now, she was taking over. The doctor asked my Mother if she had a better education, medical knowledge and more know how than he did. She said maybe not-but she never lost a patient. That was on Friday. So home, we went, my Mother sent me to bed and came up with teas, chicken soup and potices. The fever broke on Saturday. When I left with my Mother the doctor ordered me to come back Monday morning. 


 On Monday I went to the doctor with a temperature of 98.6 , all the fever and illness were gone and he wanted to know how my Mother did it. My Mother went blind with glaucoma, that was before they had the medicine they do today. Later she suffered with alzheimer disease for ten years before she passed on, on one of my brother's birthday, April 17th, 1995. Dad and I took care of her at home as long as we could before we put her in a nursing home. Dad and I were with her when she passed. My Dad passed away three years later on July 11th 1998. He went down hill from the day Mom passed. I miss them both very much. I didn't mean to go on so, but I wanted you to know about my Mother. I hope she is in heaven celebrating with Jesus, Blessed Mother, the Saints, my Father, my Brother and all the others that have gone. 
HAPPY  MOTHER'S DAY, MOM. 
Love Marilyn
MY MOM AND I
MY MOM
ME AND MY MOM



MY MOM AND DAD

8 comments:

New York State Of Mind said...

I don't know what is going on here. I wrote something about my Mother, but I can't get it on. It's on the post to come on, but all that comes on are the pictures. But anyway, you can see my Mom and the last picture is my Mom and Dad.

Marilyn

Vickie said...

Marilyn, I love the pictures you have shared. I am sorry your words are not showing. I assume that is you in the pictures with her? =)

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Vickie,
Yes, you are right-that is my Mom and myself. I am trying to get Richard to figure out what happened. First this happened on my Mom and not only that if it will do it here, it will do it on the other posts.

Happy Mother's Day,
Marilyn and Pierre

New York State Of Mind said...

I thank Richard for getting the writing on the post today. Sure hope this doesn't happen with any other posts. Has anyone else had this problem???? What do you do?

Marilyn

Countryside Reflections said...

What great pictures and memories. Your mom's early years must have been quite traumatic though. My mom will be 97 in July.

Doreen

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Doreen,
I am so glad that your mom will be 97. Hope she had a Happy Mother's Day. I guess my Mom had a traumatic time, but I don't think she realized it until she got older. As my Mom use to say : You do what you gotta do.

Marilyn

Fionalina said...

Thank you for sharing this Marilyn-sorry to hear of what your Mother must have gone through
It was good to see the photos of you and your parents

Fionalina

New York State Of Mind said...

Thank you Fionalina. My Mom suffered a lot before she passed. Glad you liked the photos of my parents and myself. I still miss them.

Marilyn