Friday, December 13, 2013

AMISH LAMB FARM AND MAMIE EISENHOWER'S FUDGE

I was driving down the road and saw more lambs than I ever seen so I had to stop and take these pictures.  I hope you enjoy them.    Marilyn
 

MAMIE EISENHOWER'S MILLION DOLLAR FUDGE

4 1/2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1 tall can evaporated milk (1 2/3 cups)
1 8 oz jar marshmallow cream
2 cups walnuts or pecans
1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 12 oz bar sweet chocolate

Combine sugar, salt, butter and milk in saucepan and boil for six minutes, stirring constantly.  Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and pour the syrupy mixture over all.  Beat until thoroughly melted and mixed.  Pour into two 6-inch square pans or one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.  Cut into squares and store in a tightly covered box.  Makes 5 pounds of fudge.

This is a recipe that was in the newspaper many years ago and has been passed down in our family.  I could not remember who Mamie Eisenhower was, but Susan informed me that she was President Eisenhower's wife. 

Be With God,
Jean

7 comments:

annie said...

those are beautiful photos. the recipe sounds wonderful. thank you both, hope you have a terrific weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pics+recipe. Stay safe+warm. Blessings to all, Carol

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Annie,

Glad you liked the photos. I have made this recipe and it is delicious. Hope you have a terrific weekend, too.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Carol,
You are welcome with the pics and recipe. You stay safe and warm, too. We are suppose to gets lots of snow, but so far, we have only a little bit.

Blessings to you and yours,
Marilyn

Countryside Reflections said...

This looks like a nice easy recipe that would make great Christmas gifts.

The sheep pictures are so peaceful. It's nice to see that they have such a large pasture to roam.

Marilyn, I saw your comment on Amish America. Intercourse was the first name that I thought of too. I can't believe that anyone even considered using it to name a town. What were they thinking?

Doreen

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Doreen,
That is a good recipe to make as Christmas gifts.

Glad you liked the sheep. Jean and I decided that the sheep were God's animals so we didn't put any other Christmas pictures on.

I don't know what they were thinking of. I have a friend and her husband live in Denver, Pa. and she told me she had to go to Intercourse. I thought what she and her husband did were none of my business - why was she telling me. It took her a minute to realize what I was thinking and explained they had a town called Intercourse. I had to go there and see that town. You got me why they named it such a name.

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Re: Intercourse, PA-I have read long ago that when the area was named, the meaning of words were a bit different. In old English, the word means conversation. Human beings, being fallen in nature, our minds unfortunately go first to the gutter. If people would take the time to ask questions+do a little research about language+different areas we visit, we'd have a great time learning while getting correct info-don't you think? Snowing here(Dec 14th). Predicitng 4-8" in eastern NYS. As we're from Onondaga County originally, this amount isn't so very bad. Problem here is the air is much drier than Onon. , so this area tends to get more in the way of icings-and there really isn't much anyone can do about ice except stay off the roads. Take care, Carol