Wednesday, August 19, 2015

JEAN'S HOMEMADE SOFT DRINK RECIPES

I know that I put one of these on here before.  All of them I put on Amish Stories a few years ago.  Seeing we have new people, I thought it was time to put them on again especially at this warm time of year.  

RASPBERRY SHRUB

3 quarts mashed raspberries
1 quart vinegar (good vinegar)
sugar

Pour vinegar over the raspberries and let stand 24 hours.  To each pint of liquid add 3/4 lb. sugar.  Boil for about 1/2 hour.  Remove from heat and skim clear, then in sterilized bottles, seal tightly, and keep in cool place.  When wanting a drink add 1 tbsp to 8 oz glass of cold water.

GINGER ALE

2 gal warm water
2 oz bruised ginger root
2 lbs sugar
2 lemons - juice only
1 tbsp cream tarter
1 yeast cake or pkg in cold weather, 2/3 of pkg in summer

Mix together and let stand in stone jar, covered for 24 hours.  Strain and bottle.  Bottles must be sealed tightly.

SWITCHEL (Haymakers)

1 gallon water
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 tsp ginger

Stir the ingredients together well and mix with water.  Then keep cool.  NOTE: Try using one cup sugar.  Some recipes call for molasses (1 cup instead of sugar).

This thirst-quenching drink is made for the men working in the fields.  Easy to make and surprising refreshing.

I also have some homemade wine recipes, but I don't know if you would be interested.
Jean

11 comments:

Tom said...

I'll drink to this! Tom The Backroads Traveller

Anonymous said...

Yes, we would be interested in the homemade wine recipes. Thank you!
Chris

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Tom,

Cheers !!!

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Chris,

I will see that Jean gets your message.

Marilyn

Angela Tucker said...

Good morning, Marilyn. Very interesting...Will you please ask Jean what the vinegar does for the recipes?

Vanssmomc said...

Good Morning Marilyn! I am also curious what the vinegar does for the recipe. And what does Jean consider good vinegar? Thanks and have a wonderful day, Cathy in Webster

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Angela and Cathy,

I called Jean and asked her about the vinegar. She said the vinegar is in there for the taste, preservation and it also quells the urge of thirst. Two of these recipes go back over 100 years.

Regarding the good vinegar, she didn't mean to put that in. That was in the recipe, and was put in years ago. She means vinegar, but store bought or home mad vinegar are just fine.

Marilyn

Dynna said...

These sound pretty interesting. I may try the raspberry if I do the math to reduce the recipe. I also wondered about good vinegar but read the comments. I am assuming it is apple cider vinegar we should use in the recipes. Thank you Jean for sharing with us.

Alice said...

Any recipes for root beer? My Dad made it all the time.

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning dynnamae n,

Let us know how you make out if you make the raspberry. I will thank Jean for the message.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Good Morning Alice,

On January 14th of this year, Jean had on a recipe for root beer. If you can go back, you will find it. If you have problems finding it, let me know.

Marilyn