Tuesday, May 1, 2018

MARGARET AND JEAN'S POST

Margaret is nervous to come on here, so I told her to tell it to me and I would tell Marilyn. Oh, since the rest of this letter was written Margaret has been invited back to teach next year and she has accepted.  Jean

School closed for the year last Friday.  All the children were excited.  Most of the parents came and ladies brought dishes to pass for lunch.

We started by giving the diplomas to those graduating this year.  They are 14 years old and the boys will be working on their parents farms full time or learning other trades.  The girls will be learning house cleaning, cooking, sewing and more.  In most cases the girls learn cow milking, feeding the animals and other farms duties, too.

After that their Bishop gave a slight talk or sermon on how all the children should continue the Lord's work on all the work and play.  He should not be forgotten.  After his talk, we had our lunch.  We had it inside the school as we thought it would be raining outside.  Some of the people ended out eating outside as we just didn't have enough room inside.

After the lunch some of the students came up front and gave me a box.  A big box!  I opened it up and started to cry.  Mother Jean, had to take it out of the box.  It was a beautiful pink quilt.  I had always wanted one.  After my birthday, I told Mother Jean that I wanted a pink quilt.  She wanted to know whey I hadn't told her, I would have gotten one.  So when the ladies at school asked Jean what I wanted, she told them.  Being  a new teacher, she figured it would be a small one.  Not this one, it will fit my bed.  Mom and I wondered how they got it made so fast.  The ladies told us with a smile they get things done.  They sure did.  It is beautiful.

The Fathers usually play baseball with the students and there was a debate if they would or not because of the weather, but they decided to go ahead.  It was a hard game on both sides.  But the Father's finally one.

After that, we all ate again.  It seems that game made everyone hungry again.  Finally, we all packed up and went home.  I put the beautiful quilt on my bed.

The next day, I and many of the mother's came and we cleaned up and closed the school for the summer.  Oh, a couple of the men came to check everything out and make sure nothing was wrong with the building.

I was asked me if I would like to continue on as teacher and said I would.  Right now their board is deciding.  Since I have been there, board members and parents have stopped in to see my work.  So I don't know.  They have all summer to decide.

So that is about our school closing.  We will open up back in August.

Be With God,
Margaret and Jean


5 comments:

Vanssmomc said...

Good morning Marilyn, please pass along my congratulations to Margaret! I love that they made her pink quilt and I guess the saying is true many hands make quick work. Have a wonderful day, isn't this warmer weather delightful!! Cathy in Webster

Tom said...

...the end of school was always the best time of year for me!

Vickie said...

I enjoyed this post very much. I have always wanted a pink quilt also. I have one pieced but not put together yet.

littlemancat said...

Wonderful post, Margaret,Jean,and Marilyn. Loved hearing about the end of school gathering and the pink quilt! Congratulations to Margaret!
Mary

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Folks,
I will see that Jean and Margaret get your messages. The end of the school year was the best time for me, too.

Marilyn