Tuesday, January 29, 2019

ELMER'S POST

Do you every have one of those situations that everyone thought someone else did it and no one did it?  That's what happened to me the week of the snow storm.

Anna and I heard that the big storm was coming - but you don't always know whether to believe the weather man or not.  But just to be on the safe side I ran a rope from the house to the barn - just in case it was true and it got deep or windy, I would hang on the rope.  Well that time, the weatherman was right.  Friday night wasn't bad, but when we woke on Saturday, it had really come down.  I went to head to for the barn and I hardly made it out the door.  Being a small person, I was almost to my waste in snow.  All Anna and I could think was we had to get to get to the barn and milk the cows.  Anna went out and tried to reach the barn, but she got about as far as I did, but had to come back.

There was an agreement with our children that one of them would clean out our driveway and the path to our barn in a snow storm.  Anna and I were sure one of them would show up, but no one did.  I asked Anna if she thought I should use my cell phone.  I have only for the fire calls so I can go to the firehouse or an emergency.  Anna said this is an emergency. If I couldn't reach the barn none of my children would be able to make the shanty to answer the phone so that put them out.  So I called John and Dottie our car drivers that live next door - I know they have a snow blower.  John informed me that their blower doesn't work and I can hear Dottie saying she told him to buy a new one.  So if I found someone to do our driveway to have them do theirs.  We waited, no one came from our family.

Got on the phone and called Jean's house.  She said Michael and David were out plowing, but she would see if Thomas was still home and if he was she would send him.  We asked if he could do John and Dottie's too.  She called him back and then us back and said yes.  About 15 minutes later Thomas showed up.  He did John and Dottie's first, then he remembered the senior people across the street and did theirs and then he came and did ours.  When he got done, he knocked on the door and said lets get your milking done - bet those cows can't wait.  So he and I did the milking on the poor cows.  We were about three hours later milking than I usually am.

Anna had breakfast ready when we came inside.  Thomas had eaten at home but ate at our house, too.  All of us tried to pay him, but he wouldn't accept it.  He said Anna's breakfast was enough.
He came back again that day and plowed.

It really snowed Saturday night, but when I got up for milking, I was all plowed out.  Thomas came through us that day to make sure the three of us were cleared out.  Monday, I was cleared out, too.

When I finally got together with some of my children, they said well I thought the other was coming so we didn't come.  They felt bad when they found out no one came to help us out.  Well, now they don't have to come because I have hired Thomas for the winter.  Oh, and on Monday morning when the stores opened, Dottie made John go buy a new snow blowers.  So now we got double protection.

The sign above is one that is on some of the back roads in our area.  Thought you would appreciate it this time of year.

Trust God's Wisdom,
Elmer

10 comments:

Tom said...

...I remember reading years ago about farmers have a rope from the house to the barn. Stay warm and safe.

Heritage Hall said...

The Lord's blessings be upon Thomas... you entertained an angel unaware.. Thank you for this inspiring entry.. Please stay safe
and warm.

William Kendall said...

Tom's remark reminds me of my grandparents, who farmed in an area of southern Ontario that was influenced by lake effect snow coming off Lake Huron, and could get a lot of snow. They had a thick rope from the house to the barn so that they could navigate the way safely between in order to milk the cows.

Laura said...

So very glad Thomas was able to help everyone and that everyone is safe!!

Laura

New York State Of Mind said...

Hello Tom,
I never knew that about rope at his place, I never heard of it. You stay warm and safe, too.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Heritage Hall,
I will see that Elmer and Thomas get your message. You stay warm and safe, too.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi William,
Thank you for explaining why they have the ropes. Hope you stay warm and safe, too.

Marilyn

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Laura,

I will see that Thomas gets your message. It was great of him to go and do as he did.

Marilyn

Vickie said...

Thomas is such a fine young man.

New York State Of Mind said...

Hi Vickie,

I will see that he gets your message.

Marilyn